Hair loss is a serious concern for both men and women. Common issues affecting the hair and scalp include hair loss (alopecia), infections, dandruff, thin hair, damaged scalp and disorders causing itching and scaling.
Causes of various hair problems
Hormones imbalance, Stress and illness
Autoimmune diseases, thyroid, Lack of moisture
Poor diet, malnutrition, Dandruff
Accumulation of toxins, Bacterial infection
Protein deficiency, Anemia
Extreme weight loss, Poor hygiene
Why Neem for hair problems?
If you are looking for a fast and effective natural home remedy, look for nothing other than neem (Indian Lilac, indica) leaves. Neem has been used for ages to treat various skin and hair problems. Neem has anti-microbial and blood purifying properties, which address the root causes of the damaged scalp, hair loss, and dandruff, weak and grey hair.
Consumption of neem treats the problems from inside to reduce hair loss and it also stimulates the growth of strong healthy hair. It not only treats hair and skin issues but also treats viral, bacterial infection and other serious skin disease. Neem is a multipurpose herb and can be used in many ways.
Hair benefits of Neem at glance:
Stops hair loss
Prevents premature graying of hair
Repairs damaged scalp
Removes head lice
Treats the itchy scalp
Treats infections in the scalp
Reduces the inflammation/ redness of the scalp
Homemade neem hair masks
Note: In case neem leaves are not available you can opt for pure neem powder as well.
1. Dandruff - Neem, fenugreek hair mask
Application of the following hair mask will remove dandruff, hair lice, and also turns the dull and dry hair to soft, smooth and strong. Moong dal removes dandruff and promotes hair growth. Fenugreek seed gives shine and slippery coat and also treats dandruff and hair fall. Curd provides proteins, treats itchiness, and repairs damaged scalp. Whereas Hibiscus leaves works as natural conditioner, makes your hair strong and treats the split ends.
Neem leaves - 10-12
Or neem powder – 2 tbsp
Hibiscus leaves - 8-10
Fenugreek seeds - 2-3 tbsp
Moong dal - 2-3 tbsp (optional)
Curd - 2-3 tbsp
1. Soak fenugreek and moong dal overnight in glass of water.
2. Clean the hibiscus and neem leaves well.
3. Grind neem and hibiscus leaves using little water to make thick, consistent paste of it.
4. Grind fenugreek seeds and moong dal in a grinder using little water to form smooth paste.
5. Then mix both pastes well together with curd.
6. The mixture should not so watery. You should be able to sit with this hair application for few minutes.
5. Apply this homemade neem mask on your hair and scalp. Allow it to dry or leave it for Minimum 15-20 minutes.
6. Wash it off with lukewarm or normal water.
7. Follow this remedy once or twice a week for best result.
2. Control hair fall, dandruff and lice
Formation of bacteria and fungus over the scalp is one of the main reasons for dandruff and hair fall. It can be treated with neem, as it has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties.
Neem leaves - handful
Water - 3 cups
Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
1. Take a handful of neem leaves, crush them with hands and boil them in 3 cups of clean water and coconut oil for 10-15 minutes until water turns green, boil it on slow flame.
2. Let this mixture come to room temperature. Then strain the water.
3. Rinse or apply this neem water to your hair, roots, ends and scalp properly.
4. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash off with normal or cool water. Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
This remedy is an ideal way to remove dandruff, prevention of hair fall and to stimulate the hair growth.
3. Neem for frizzy hair
1. Take a handful of clean neem leaves and grind them using little water to make paste.
2. Boil this neem paste in a cup of water until water is reduced to get thick paste.
3. Let the paste come to normal temperature, then add 2 tablespoon of honey and 1-2 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil to it, mix well.
4. Apply this mixture to hair and scalp and wash off after 30 minutes with normal or lukewarm water. Try this mask twice a week to get rid of frizzy and dry hair naturally.
4. Strong, shiny and healthy hair
Neem powder - 1 tbsp
Henna powder - 2 tbsp
Curd/ Yogurt - enough amount
Black tea and Coffee
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
1. Boil black tea and coffee in cup of water with neem and henna powder 5-10 minutes on slow flame.
2. Then add curd/yogurt and fresh lemon juice to this warm mixture. You can increase the quantity of curd in order to get consistent mixture.
3. Apply this hair mask to your hair and scalp properly and leave it on for 30 minutes.
4. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Follow this remedy once or twice a week.